7.8.08

Triangles

Still fascinated with Libby Lehman “Thread play” so I am going to try out her “pot luck” appliqué, or 2 or more layered appliqué.
Triangles were drawn onto freezer paper, and arranged onto the leftover pieced background. I have decided to put in black, dark blue, turquoise and red triangles.
The dark blue fabric was pinned behind the background fabric. After sewing small straight stitches around the freezer paper triangle, removed the freezer paper, and then cut the top fabric away, to reveal the blue triangle underneath. I repeated this process with the other triangles, cutting away to reveal the new colour beneath.
Time for some fun. Free motion zigzag around each triangle like rays of the sun. I used contrasting threads to give a feel for a colour study. Metallic and rayon threads on to were used to add another dimension.
An orange transparent triangle was created with free motion stitching, with stabiliser on the back.

I tried to create a twin need right angled line zigzagging through the centre, but I cannot turn the corners well, so it is not as sharp as what I would like.
Changed the thread to flouro pink and cerise and made pink “bullets” around the triangles, and some randomly overlapping the triangles.
I also tried to quilt using a geometric meander, but it was difficult for me to get sharp corners.

No comments: