21.1.09

Pleated squares

Got the sewing machine back, finally repaired, so going to make some pleated squares. I have always wanted to try the technique, so here goes.

Drew lines 5cm apart horizontally and vertically. Ironed the vertical lines and then with purple thread sewed 0.5cm from the fold line. Wasn’t certain which way to push the pleats so on the first row horizontally I pulled the pleated towards me, and sewed in the same direction so all the pleats were turned the same way.

Vertically when I sewed I alternated the direction of the pleats, so sometime the “box” felt very small with the top and bottom pleat facing in, and then on the next row, these were facing out.
Decided to see “what if” so on every second seam a tight zigzag instead of a straight stitch.

Maybe I should have used metallic thread, but I like the contrast look the purple thread provides. A simple textural quilt. Would look nice in silk or shot taffeta, but would be slippery to sew.

No comments: