6.3.08

Autumn Leaves





Walking in Kuirau Park today, we picked up some beautiful leaves in hues of yellow, red and burgundy. Autumn is almost upon us.

I have some curtain fabric that I feel the reverse side is more interesting and suited to an Autumn project . I also want to try reverse appliqué.

Some “fluffy” acrylic yarn was couched using variegated red crochet cotton. I started in a spiral but it looks more like a flower, so I embroidered the center with French knots and added black and red beads.

I reversed appliquéd a red sun, but it isn’t as round as I would like it to be. I want to get an image of a fallen autumn leaf, so running stitch might do. I did an outline, but felt it needed more, so I filled the inside of the leaf with running stitch, but tried to get one side paler than the other using the variegated thread.

I got carried away with the twin needle, and put some wavy lines in and swirled the fabric and thread around, trying to imitate the wind.

The to was then quilted with burgundy thread and echo quilted around the sun, and the leaf.

I like the look of the leaf, this turned out better than I had hoped. Experiment and you shall see.

No comments: