13.3.08

Crazy Pleating









I have some ugly brown/orange/yellow fabric that I want to try out, so I used the twin needle and radiated lines with yellow silk thread in a spoke pattern. Two half moon shapes were cut from light yellow and medium yellow fabric and I hand basted these together. I tried pleating these moons at different angles and “crazy pleating” came about. I wasn’t happy with it, there is nothing neat about the pleats.

I pinned the pleated shape to the ugly backing, and quilted it all down using yellow silk thread.

Using star embroidery, running stitch, chain stitch, feather stitch, buttonhole stitch, fly stitch, and herringbone stitch I embellished the pleats. With silver thread, I quilted more of the pleats down.
The quilt needed beads, so yellow and blue seed beads follow the stitching. My daughter calls it a fountain.

No comments: