14.5.08

Autumn Sun

So I have been away for 4 weeks, and haven't done much work on my challenges, I have been inspired though, by nature.The colours of Autumn have been swirled around me by the wind, so I want to try and converge autumn colours together in the form of a sun.

Using Green and brown fabrics, I split them into 2 blocks of green and brown, then cut them into strips, 2.5cm, 3cm, 3.5cm, 4 cm, 5cm. I moved second strip over and down, trying to remember the procedure described to me by an artist friend a few nights ago. This, she assured me would fragment the fabric and change the whole look of the background. The strips didn’t look right for me, so I cut them again horizontally and moved them over. Much happier look, not quite what I expected, but this is what it is all about, what if…

Decided to make it into a circle, but forgot to allow seam allowance in the background fabric, so had to cut it all down a size, and then free motion quilted, using copper variegated thread in a circular motion.

I zig-zagged the large “sun rays” and the centre of the circle reminds me of Kokopelli (from New Mexico). To emphasise this, I couched “bubble” cotton into the circle and spiral shapes to give definition. Palestrina stitch with a 3 strand embroidery thread. This takes a bit to get used to. I tried spacing close and far apart for different effects.
The Sun need more “oommf” so beaded every second stitch and then randomly used bugled beads to expand the sun rays.
A small gold sun completed the quilt.

No comments: