24.7.08

Thread Play

Libby Lehman’s book Thread Play is an inspiration, and I have enjoyed learning several techniques of hers. The traditional patchwork background is embellished with machine embroidery, ribbons, transparent spaces, satin stitch and appliqué, all machine, and all freehand – perfect for me to have some fun.
I drew a squiggle onto freezer paper, and then drew curves meeting at the squiggle. I numbered the curves, and cut this out of freezer paper, and ton a pieced background that I had left over from another project.

Using a cream thread I stitched around the freezer paper and then removed the paper. This stitching provided a guide line for the free motion zigzag in cream and brown thread. I highlighted the curves in yellow. A simple technique, and one I love.

Very Important though, USE A HOOP and stabilise the background with tearaway before stitching!Moving the hoop along the work is a hassle, but it keeps everything nice and taut. Wanted to try a thicker quilting line, so settled on a zigzag width1, length 0.75, and used the edge of the clear embroidery foot as a guide.

No comments: