6.11.08

Frottage and ferns

Shiva Paint sticks have been sitting in my drawer, and I need to play with them to understand their qualities a bit more.
I wonder if they can create the sense of sunlight filtering though the forest.

I tried rubbing them over a woven flax mat, (frottage) but the design that came through to the green fabric wasn’t strong, just random blobs of colour. So…I masked off sections on another green fabric and frottage bronze, gold and green Shiva sticks using the mat as a background. This was a better effect than trying to frottage the whole mat.

Found some brown chenille yarn from Spotlight, and it reminds me of the furry part of the ponga fern, so I am going to create a frond in front of the frottage paint stiks.
Using wash away stabiliser and a long zigzag, I secured the yarn to the wash away in a coiled stem / frond.

After washing the stabiliser away, I hand sewed the “koru” to the green fabric. The spirals were difficult to sew, but at this stage, I cannot think of another way to attach them.
I machine quilted in one direction, only following the line of the making tape “blank spaces. To me the result was similar to the dappled sunlight filtering into the forest.

Some Jazz yarn framed the piece, but maybe it would have been better as a spiral, instead of a diagonal? What do you think?

No comments: