13.11.08

Loose Threads

I have been saving all my loose cut off threads in a tissue box for the last month. I laid them out onto some clear “wash away” stabiliser. I moved them around a bit, but wanted a random unplanned piece. I pinned the next layer of wash away on the top and started to sew with mustard coloured thread in a free motion straight stitch. I MUST remember to lower the tension on the foot, as the threads kept getting caught on the bottom.
Moved the wash away in a forward-backward motion. I then changed to purple thread, and created more lines in the same direction. Finally, I found some old green silk thread, so I stitched that as well in the same direction.
After washing away the stabiliser, my initial thoughts are that I have used too much green thread. Perhaps when it is dry?
Trimmed the thread “fabric” to a uniform rectangle, and off centre placement onto some left over red velvet strips from F’s cushions.

Invisible thread zigzagged it all down, then Blue silk thread meandering across the fabric, like steam rising. Still felt the piece need more, so “jazz” yarn from Spotlight got zigzagged won as a fringe I really like this effect.

No comments: