18.12.08

Overflows

Want to try out “tufting” stitch, so need a quilt with “water” or motion to splash, so decided on a love waterfall, so I can tuft the bottom of the waterfall.
Found some white fabric with hears and OXO on it for the waterfall. Scraps of blues, greens and a purple one with holly – it is Christmas time.
Turned under the edges of the scraps and laid them onto some iron on interfacing – glue side up. Initially I was having a” square” look to the piece, but then turned the blue square onto point, and I liked the effect, as it breaks up the whole square look into a more random piece. Ironed the back so all the pieces have stuck and free motion zigzag finishing with the blue square.
Reverse bobbin with variegated red/pink crochet cotton in the bobbin, and pink thread in the needle. Lots of swirls and spirals creating movement, all travelling through the blue square. What now – heart beads sewn at the ends of the swirls? Appliqué hearts on the edges? I created this piece as a tufting exercise, so do I put the tufting around the edge of the blue square< or do I tuft the top edge of the hearts near the blue square?

I practised tufting on some scraps, but I am not happy with the results, so maybe some “jazz’ yarn for a fringe? Decided to cut some hearts from the white/red print and scatter them around the outside and appliqué them. Some 3D paint was drawn around the edges. When the paint had dried I covered it with baking paper and ironed it to set it. Perhaps the iron was too hot, or the paint not dry enough, but the pain lost the gloss. Monica suggested using a hair dryer to heat set the 3D paint, I wish I knew that before I ironed it.
So much for my tufting exercise, but I did learn something about 3D paint!

No comments: