11.12.08

Dirty Laundry

Really wanted to try out the “bleach Pen” by Clorex, so on some different coloured scraps I followed the patterns on some ,and just drew spirals on the others. The pen is easy to use, but the purple fabric didn’t change colour at all. The batik green reacted super quickly, and the others at different rates. Them all in a bucket of water and rinsed them several times.
As the “Bleach Pen” is designed for stains on dirty clothes, I have decided to make a clothesline and have the bleached fabric hanging from the.
Grass – some hand dyed green fabric from Shari Cole was perfect. I cut it into three strips and fringed the edges.
Laid the strips irregularly onto fusible stabiliser, with the adhesive facing up. Found some scrap faded denim that was perfect for a hot sun drenched blue sky look.
Cut miniature clothes outlines from the bleached fabric, - pants, single, skirt, tablecloth, tea towel, and briefs from a lace scrap.
Originally I was using crochet cotton for the “line” but it was too thick, so I split it into 3, and used one of those strands.
Vlioflex the “Clothes” and arranged them on the washing line. I had too many for my A5 size, so discarded the ones that didn’t fit in.
Ironed everything down, but decided not to stitch around any of the clothes, except the briefs until quilting time. I think this is called raw edge appliqué, but not sure.
Quilted using some invisible thread, tried to create the impression of the sun beating down in the sky. Quilted around the clothes, and this made them stand free of the quilting.
Grass I quilted with green variegated thread, randomly, but then decided to quilt plant / leaf shapes. Much more fun,. Pink embroidery thread for the pegs. I like the briefs. Maybe I should have used brighter pink for the pegs?

No comments: