29.5.08

Happy Villages Karen Eckmeier

Decided to try out Karen Eckmeier’s fabric collage technique, so cut 5 cm strips from 7 colours, in reds, browns and purples. I cut these into 5 cm squares and then, into a series of “steps”. 2 , 3, 4, and 5 step shapes.
Changed the technique from Karen, I laid out fusible Vilene with the “glue” face side up. I then arranged the “steps” onto this, starting with a dark value colour, and then contrasting it with a light value. Shapes were turned and placed quite randomly, nice not to think too much, just enjoying the process.
Once happy, I just ironed the pieces straight onto the Vilene. No glue to worry about.
Cut out some “onion” shapes for roofs, and some triangle shapes for roofs.
I thought some arches and awnings would look quite good too. Also cut some arch shapes and square shapes for windows. Tried placing the shapes onto dark / light combinations, and moved the windows around until I was happy with the placement.
A wipe of a glue stik onto the backs of the small pieces held them in place, while I pinned fine black tulle over the top. Sewed around all the shapes, and then cut the tulle away from the sky fabric.
It is a happy village, reminds me of the northern African communities.

No comments: