5.6.08

Poppies

“Are they what I think they are?”
For several months now, I have been considering using the outside green wrapper, which I think is polypropylene, on the packs of “naturals range” of Libra pads. It reminds me of the tyvek building wrap which is strong and doesn’t rip.
After laying the wrappers from one packet out onto the painting sheet, I painted them with yellow and red textile ink, and mixed up the leftovers for orange. The stuff soaked up the colour fantastically, even though it began as a pale green base.
While I had the ink out, I painted some cupcake liners red and yellow, then decided they needed a “center, so a dab of black or purple paint plopped into the centre of each pleated circle.
When the wrappers were dry I cut them into 1.5 cm strips and wove them to create a background. They cut well and there is no fraying. The leftovers I melts together to create a nest mixture. Texture and all that.
The cupcake liners also hold the colour and creases well, and remind me of poppies, so they started my piece. Silver paint stik was used to stencil poppy leaves around the outside. I also cut some poppy leaves from an unpainted green wrapper. Using the melted “nest” and the green leaves, completed the composition.
Quilted in red thread around the sliver leaves, and stitched the green cut out leaves with green variegated thread.
The poppies needed more, so I popped some yellow seed beads in the centre.
Surprisingly, the products worked well, and I will use both of them again.

1 comment:

Simonetta said...

Hi from Italy! Compliments,your jobs are so very beautiful!