13.6.08

Blizzard

Winter has hit us with snow in the South Island, and frosts and cold fingers in Rotorua. White on white, snowflake and icicles. Using a striped white on white fabric, I cut different lengths and staggered the joins. I wanted to duplicate the fractured frozen ice on a pond, but in reality, it just looks like steps to me.
I cut a small snowflake from folded paper and cut it out. I then cut out the spotted white taffeta into the snowflake shape.
Some white wool unravelled and some taffeta threads pulled from the scraps were used as icicles, the light reflecting off different angles and textures.
A fine white tulle was machine quilted over the snowflake and icicles. Silver metallic thread and a darning plate in the machine, I tried some machine embroidery around the snowflake.
3 strand embroidery thread created icicles in feather stitch, but they look more like branches covered in ice. Daisy chain stitch and straight stitch made more snowflakes. I also outlined details of the snowflake and used glass seed beads and sequins to make the snowflake magical. More beads highlighted the snowflake.
Next time I would facture the white striped fabric more randomly, like ice on a pond. I would also put more threads and other embellishments under the tulle.

No comments: