19.6.08

Cold

As it is very chilly, my theme this week is “cold” Not sure how to go about portraying this, so jotted down some ideas. Cold as ice, chilled to the bone, frozen, ice, blue with cold, cold nose, cold hands, chilly, brrrr..!, frigid, raw, bitter cold, cold cutting wind, icicles, frost, hail, glacier, mountain, ski-ing, snowmen.


On a pale gray fabric, small marbles were rubber banded to create a dyeing opportunity. With blue textile ink, I wrote “Shiver” with very diluted ink, then I went over it again, with less diluted ink, the ink spread across the damp fabric, and reminded me of ice on water. I have not tried zigzag free motion stitching, so want to try it on this project.


I limited the colour palette to blue, I was surprise how many tones and hues of blue I had in my threads. It was fun free motion zigzagging ,but I definitely need more practise. I flipped the fabric over and reverse bobbin embroidery with some variegated blue crochet cotton in the bobbin.


With silver metallic thread, and reduced the zigzag to 2, highlighted the word “Shiver”.
I like the layers of thread and how the eye travel across, moving from the bright blue to the white, and back to the bright blue again.

No comments: