10.7.08

Tawhiri-matea “Wind”



I want to try and capture the essence of the wind blowing . Tawhirematea is the god of wind, so I will need to include a moko (tattoo) onto my wind. I visited the Rotorua Museum, and made notes and sketches from the Te Awara collection (local Maori tribe) of different faces and mokos.
After happy with a sketch made by combining several of the moko techniques, I scanned this into the computer.

In Publisher, I expanded the sketch, and then had to “flip’ it vertically. When I printed it onto stabiliser it was the reverse to how it will look on the quilt.
Reverse bobbin couching with following the printed drawing is easy. I drew in some more swirls in the forehead, and some more hair curls to give myself a guide while sewing. It was neat to flip the stabilised fabric over and see the sewn result.
I echo quilted using a variegated blue and white thread. White metallic thread was embroidered in the eyes.

No comments: